Back in February of 2006, Jefferson Pitcher, J. Matthew Gerken, and I set about writing and recording the original demos for these Presidents songs as part of the February Album Writing Month challenge (www.fawm.org). We wrote and did demo recordings of 42 songs (all but G.W. Bush) in Februrary–28 days and 42 songs. Sheesh.
In any case, as part of that, we wrote little texts to accompany each new song as we got them up on the FAWM website. I like looking through them now as they seem part of a crazy, crazy time.
Burr Settles, a fine songwriter in his own right and the FAWM-lord, was kind enough to get me an html backup of all the original texts we wrote, and it includes the comments other songwriters wrote on the demos as we got them up. I’m including those as well.
35 Kennedy (There is No Plan)
A fantasy describing the scenario were John and Bobby Kennedy not murdered. Playing that scenario out implicates John Kennedy’s killers.
- lindy | 2006-02-13 @ 02:57pm (EST)the meter and the shifting accents of the beats help make this song work. i really like the melodic line, too. this is a good, strong song. thanks for sharing it with us.
- Christian Kiefer | 2006-02-13 @ 03:06pm (EST)Uh…you’re not a democratic, are you?
Beautiful work, my friend.
- Christian Kiefer | 2006-02-13 @ 03:07pm (EST)I mean a democrat. Jeez. A mental giant I am not. Perhaps I should run for President. As a Republican. Ba dump bump!
- mike skliar | 2006-02-13 @ 09:32pm (EST)very interesting musically,,, “there seems to be no plan” but there is- the words, for me, are a bit hard to scan, especially in the first half (not sure what you are trying to say) but i like the overall musical feel, and you’re on to something interesting here.
- Steven Bacon | 2006-02-14 @ 01:38pm (EST)I like the vibe…the melody is great. i like the sound of your guitar (the recording). i also am a little lost by the begining, although i get the sentiment. kennedy was a great man. i’m glad you took him on for your project. but..back to direct feedback…. i love your harmonies. nice tight playing. rock on!
- BigDaddyMatty & Special K | 2006-03-20 @ 07:02pm (EST)What a politically charged song! The vocals are right on and the music
embraces them. Great work!